The Academy is a membership organisation that provides a much needed voice to help advance optometry and optics, develop the scientific knowledge base and support and promote lifelong learning for optometrists, opticians, vision scientists and all those involved in eye health care across Europe.
The Academy’s strategic aims are to:
- develop scientific knowledge of optometry and optics
- advance and promote education into optometry and optics and related subjects
- advance and promote research into optometry and optics and related subjects
- promote for the public benefit the science and practice of optometry and optics
- promote for the public benefit the professional competence and conduct of Academy members.
History of the Academy
The Academy was launched in Lausanne, Switzerland in May 2009, at the Spring Meeting of the European Council of Optometry and Optics (ECOO). The Academy’ secretariat is hosted by the College of Optometrists, London, United Kingdom.